Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Eating Healthy While Pregnant

It's been a while since I've been on here, and it's because I'm very silly...and forgetful now! Of course, it's no excuse, butttttt.... I am expecting a little boy! Meet Oliver :) 




That was him at 18 weeks. I am now 30 weeks, and gaining ounces by the second it feels. I sadly let go of my healthy living lifestyle for a bit, but I'm back to it for a couple of reasons: A. I missed blogging and learning more about myself and new delicious things for me to eat. B. I've hit the 20 pound weight gain mark, and am not feeling too excited about that. 

They tell you that you can't eat all kinds of delicious things when you're pregnant...yep, no more Brie and crackers, or pigs in a blanket [like how I went from keeping it classy, to kicking it old school? ;)]. I've also been told multiple times, "You're eating for 2 now!".

So while I feel hungry enough to eat for 20, I know that it's time to get back to eating clean. My fiance is living a paleo lifestyle, so it's not too hard to keep it healthy in our fridge. Besides my  prenatal yoga and walks, I've cut back on my carbs, and have found a few delicious recipes on the way.

My favorite so far is a spin on a classic...Mac'n'Cheese. I know, i know, "cutting back on carbs my butt" you might be thinking, but check this out:


Mac and Cheese Style Cauliflower


cauliflower, healthy macaroni and cheese


Ingredients

8C. Cauliflower Florets
2Tbsp. Butter
3Tbsp. Flour
2C. Milk
1tsp. garlic powder
2C. grated cheddar cheese
Cayenne pepper
2 egg yolks
Salt & Pepper

Instructions: 

1. Preheat the oven to 375degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add cauliflower.
2. Boil cauliflower for about 4 minutes (I get mine to the point of almost tender, so as not to be mushy for the end result). Drain, but reserve 1/2 cup of the cauliflower water. Set cauliflower to the side.
3. In that same hot pan, melt the butter over medium heat, then whisk in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, as to get rid of the flour taste. Whisk in the milk and cauliflower water, and cook for about 7-10 minutes, whisking every now and then, until sauce thickens.
4. Remove the sauce from the heat, and stir in the cheese, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and egg yolks until the cheese is melted.
5. Layer cauliflower in a baking pan, and pour cheese sauce on top, spreading evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with some grilled chicken or a thick juicy steak (Well done of course, if you're prego!)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment