Sunday, January 13, 2013

Eggplant Manicotti

Last night, we had a dinner night with one of our couple friends, who are vegetarians! For me, picking out vegetarian meals are so difficult...I couldn't imagine a life without chicken..seafood...and nice, juicy, medium rare steak (I can NOT wait till I get enjoy these little things in life again...43 more days till Ollie's here, god willing).

Since I've been in the mood for a nice italian dish lately, I decided to switch it up a bit. My favorite italian dish is manicotti, I used to love when my mom made this, it was my favorite meal when I was little. Except this time, I made it with Eggplant, and it turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.


Eggplant Manicotti



Ingredients:

3 eggplants
1/2 container mushrooms
Pasta Sauce
Basil
about 8-10oz of Ricotta Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Salt, Pepper
Minced Garlic
Olive Oil
1c. Heavy Cream


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Slice eggplant into long thin slices. If you have a mandolin, I'd suggest using this to get your slices perfect, but I just used a knife and my keen slicing techniques...haha.
3. Brush eggplant with olive oil, place on a well oiled pan, and bake in the oven about 10 minutes, or until eggplant is tender and pliable. Let cool for a couple of minutes.
4. While eggplant is baking, chop your mushrooms and basil, and mix it into a bowl with the ricotta cheese, and a handful of mozzarella. Here, add any seasonings you want, but I just added some salt and pepper.
5. In a baking dish, place a thin layer of pasta sauce at the bottom, until it just covers it, and set aside.
6. On a plate or a cutting board, lay out a couple of slices of eggplant. Take a spoonful of your ricotta mixture, and place it at the widest end of your eggplant. Roll the eggplant up, tucking and making sure not too much ricotta mixture comes out of the sides. Lay the eggplant roll in the Pasta sauce, seam side down. Repeat with the rest of your eggplant.


7. Once pan is full, pour a tablespoon of heavy cream over each of your eggplant rolls, then sprinkle with cheese.
8. Bake your manicotti for about 20 minutes, and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment